Sophia Rose (Sophie)

My German Shepherd will not come to me when I call her. She also runs away if she gets the chance.

I have trained two other Shepherds with success, this one is difficult and nothing I try works.

Asked by Sophia Rose (Sophie) on Mar 9th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Lily

TK has the right idea. It's hard to reward them when you've been chasing them for 20 minutes, but why would she come next time if you don't? My Husky/wolf was a runner. One night at 6 months, she got out when my sister, who trains dogs for a living was here. Mia would run between us and we couldn't catch her. When, after 20 minutes, she came trotting up, I praised her. My sister said if it were her dog she would beat her. Me, "Isn't Miss Mia lucky she's mine, then." The difference in the old vs newer training methods! Ten months is very young, but you know that since you've trained other dogs. Enjoy your beauty.

Lily answered on Mar 10th.

Answers

It could be that a previous owner mistreated her, and she is afraid that you will do the same. It's always good to practice "come" on a leash, to reinforce it. And the dog can't run away. Reward her for coming with lots of praise and a treat.

TK, CGC

Use a training lead. They come in 10-50 feet I believe. Let her roam around with it, then use your command for "come here" and act really happy. When she comes to her ALWAYS praise the hell out of her and give her something of high value to her.

TK, CGC answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Marlowe, CGC

Take a peek at these short videos:

www.expertvillage.com

Marlowe, CGC answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer