my german shepherd tied about 7 weeks ago she is already producing milk but her belly isnt that big is it normal...

her stomach was bigger like 1 week ago but its not that big anymore whats wrong is she going to have the puppies soon she has a vet appointment in 3 days but i want to know if something is wrong is she ok???

Asked by Member 995293 on Jul 1st 2010 Tagged whatshouldidoformypregnantdog in Pregnancy

Answers

Lexie

Only the vet can tell you if something is wrong. It might be she is going to have a very small litter.Or that she is not have puppys at all. She realy needs to spyed there is already millions of dogs german shepherds to dieing in shelters every day because of people not geting there dogs fixed and allowing them to breed.

Lexie answered on 7/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you don't know the answer to this question, I don't think you should really be breeding your dogs.

Not all dogs will show on the 7th week. Indeed many dogs do not show fully until the 8th or 9th week (right at the end).

You should be getting her to the vet to get an x-ray by now. That will confirm the pregnancy, help you estimate the size, and tell you exactly how many there are. It can also point out any potential problems.

This site has some great information on canine pregnancies:
dogs.lovetoknow.com

If you don't know how to tell she's pregnant and can't afford the x-ray fees then I'd suggest an abort-spay because pregnancies are not "easy" and actually can easily turn deadly for dam and pups.

have to agree with Velvet. If you don't know what to do then you should not be breeding any dog.
The dog should be 2 yrs old. Hips and elbows should be HD Free.
The female should be shown with preferably a KK1
or show title of a top V or VA or championship winner in AKC
The male should be the same and 2 yrs of age.
Both male and female need a total healthy bill from a vet.
Hopefully this dog is infertile.
Please be kind and spay your dog. Neuter the male also.

First of all, I agree with the other answers but would like to add that x-rays will not show puppies until the bones have calcified, not until 56 or more days in whelp. Seven weeks is way, way too early to determine pregnancy by x-ray. An ultrasound is a much better choice and much less harmful to developing fetuses. I would also like to add that while I was visiting my vet this week they were performing an emergency C-section ($950 - $1,200) on a young shepherd who had been bred too young and had one dead pup normally but still had two others in her and was not having normal labor to expell them. Pretty expensive way to learn about breeding, IMO. Hope you fare better!

Geez… you people who consider yourselves "Pro's" can be so darn hard on people. Everyone has to start somewhere!
Remember back when you had your first litter due??
This person NEVER said she knew nothing about it. She doesn't know if this particular thing is normal. I know myself with the excitement of an impending litter, no matter how many times you have experienced it, sometimes the brainfarts set in, and you find yourself looking it all up again.
Geesh people. There are so many people are out there who think they are sooooo much better than everyone else… unless you are in their "clique".