My friend told me not to walk my dog until he's 1 year old.

I have 2 months and 20 days old male Cane Corso with all vaccinations taken for his age, but my friend who is also the owner of my puppies father told me not to walk my dog until he's 1 year old because it may threat his growing process, since i hear for this for first time i need more opinions about this. Thanks in advance!

Asked by Member 1151165 on Jan 30th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Pogo

It won't threaten his growth at all. There is absolutely no medical reason why it should. If he's completely up-to-date on his distemper combo and bordatella vaccines, then you can definitely take him for walks. It's important to socialize puppies and get them used to life outside of your house.

Pogo answered on 1/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I suspect they mean because of potential damage to growing joints, but just walking at a normal pace for short distances won't cause any harm. Just remember he is a baby, much like a 6 months old human baby so keep the exercise light until he is fully grown.
Remember, even with his first vaccines, he is still not completely protected from disease until the complete puppy series, usually three vaccines, is finished. The most critical period is between 9 and 12 weeks, so I wouldn't be exposing him to any other dogs right now until at least two weeks after his next vaccine.
Good luck with him and make sure you get him in a good, reward based puppy obedience class as you will have a lot of dog there when he is grown up!!!

Ikan

Walking would be fine, running would not be a good idea until they are over a year old. It can be very hard on the joints when they are young.

Ikan answered on 1/31/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer