My friend and I were walking home from school when we saw a dog tied up to a pole.

There was no one around to identify the dog as their own. Do i have any right to try to help the animal. Like feeding it or bringing it home with me to provide it somewhere to sleep for the night.

Asked by Member 1106540 on Apr 18th 2012 in Animal Welfare

Answers

Carter

If it doesn't have any tags and there are no business or houses around, i would take it home.BUT it doesn't mean that i will not try and find who it belongs to. I believe certain states have certain laws as to how long it will be before its legally your dog and you have the right to do what you choose.I know in my location its two weeks. I hope this helps. I hope the furbaby is still there or at least with you now.

Carter answered on 4/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The best way to help would be to phone your animal control services & tell them where the dog is. This is what they do. They will pick up the dog & try to locate the owner.
It is great that you want to help this dog, but you do not know the dog was abandoned. Perhaps the owner is in a store somewhere.