My foster pit bull attacks my lab when the lab spins and bites himself. Is it ok to spray them with water to stop them?

Asked by Member 1145599 on Dec 17th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I'm not a big fan of harsh reprimand, but you really don't want your dog attacking your other one. I would say in that case, it would be ok. Is there a reason your Lab spins and bites himself? Maybe he needs a vet check and/or a behaviorist. Your really should prevent the attacks, they may escalate. Good Luck!

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

yeah in the interest of stopping the attacks i would agree with Kali. Use the water. but you don't have to drench them. i've split up fights with one squirt. dogs really don't like it

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 12/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bailey

I agree. Negative reinforcement is usually something i'd never recommend, but if you are going to do it (because really that sounds like the only option at the moment) either squirt them with water, or you can get an old soda can / soup can, put some bolts or coins in it and then seal it back up and when rattled it makes a very alarming/scary noise that will distract most dogs from what they are doing if the intensity level isn't too high.
If you are going to use one of these methods and it works to distract them, wait until the pit stops focusing on your lab and looks at you, and then reward him with a treat for being calm around your lab (careful not to reward him when he's still focused on the dog/ anxious because then you would be rewarding the wrong behavior)

Bailey answered on 12/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer