My fixed dog has had an erection for hours, I can not afford a vet, am very poor, what can I do to help him?

Asked by Member 1085315 on Jan 17th 2012 Tagged dog, neutered, erection in The Dogster Website

Answers

I'm not a vet nor a doctor but I hope this helps. I've learned from pharmacy school that an erection is caused by increased blood flow to the blood vessels and this causes them to dilate resulting in an erection. Maybe you could try cold compresses to the area. The cold can desensitize it and may help "it" go down. I cannot recommend any rx or otc...sorry. I hope your dog is ok...

I'm below the US poverty level and understand.
You could call the vet up and get advice over the phone. I've done this many times. They'll let you know if you *need* to come in.

For future reference, some vets will accept monthly payments. Let them know if you can't afford it, they may have some options for you. You just have to ask.

Bella

Hopefully you have resolved this issue by now! If not - know that a dog's erection is a little different in physiology than a humans. Often the sheath that the penis is in can "roll" in on itself and that traps the penis on the outside. I'm told it can be quite painful. If you have some vaseline you could try that and see if it doesnt slip back in. Also ice the area and see if you can reduce swelling enough for it to retreat. Barring that, if it is actually trapped on the outside youre going to have to seek attention or the tissue will become necrotic. Phone different vets and see if one will make payment arrangements. I know its rough not having the money, but some things have to be looked at in an emergency.

Bella answered on 1/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

True story to think about... our neighbors dog had this happen (due to long hair "trapping" the penis outside of the sheath, and due to failure to seek immediate veterinary help the dog ended up dying.
Tissue that is being deprived of proper blood flow, such as during a "stuck" erection in a dog, WILL die and results in gangrene, which travels up the blood supply and creates a super infection which ends up being fatal.
I would beg, borrow or sell something and get him to a vet immediately!! My own vet will hold stuff much like a pawn shop does. Ask your vet about this.
Hopefully, it isn't too late already as this dog suffered a terrible death.