My five yr. old Pugle, fit as a fiddle...eats only best foods...real rascal----I feed him 2-3 slices of cooked bacon

nearly every AM. All other foods are healthy. Am I causing him any harm?

Asked by Member 1125884 on Aug 15th 2012 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Have you ever heard the one about the farmer feeding sawdust to his horse...worked great for weeks and weeks until the silly horse up and died on him!!!
My point is, all that salt and fat is really nasty for a dog to eat on a daily basis and while you may not see immediate harm from it, it is certainly taking a toll on his overall health and longevity, especially his kidney function.
You would be much better off feeding him a small piece of egg or even toast, rather than the salt, fat and nitrates in the bacon, if he must share breakfast with you.

A slice every once in a while as a treat would be fine, but 2-3 slices every single day is very unhealthy.