My female German Shepherd has a pocket of fluid in her ear flap similar to cauliflower ear. Should I be "concerned"?

The pocket of fluid seems not to be growing or shrinking. Minor discomfort and no visible signs of trauma to area.
Should I lance a drain the pocket?

Asked by Member 1062548 on Oct 10th 2011 Tagged ear, health, treatment in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

The pocket needs to be drained, but you need a vet to do it. They need to numb the area or put the dog under anesthesia to drain it properly. This cauliflower type pocket it not uncommon and is an easy fix.

Jasmine

There are layers of cartilage in dogs ears. Sometimes trauma can cause fluid to build between the layers. It needs to be drained and stitched to fervent refilling.

Jasmine answered on 10/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kazba

you ned to see a vet. If you do it wrong, the ear could almost look like it is dead and shrink up. Please take the dog to the vet. Also if it is not done right, it can keep coming back.

Kazba answered on 10/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer