My female dog has a rash on her private parts after she urinates.

My dog is a spayed, 5 year old pitbull mix. She is 80 pounds and eats dry Beneful dog food. Sometimes after she urinates she is red around her private parts. Is this some type of bladder infection, should I give her some special kind of food or what? It doesn't happen all the time but has been for the past 2 months on and off.

Asked by Member 261152 on May 1st 2008 Tagged rash, food, urine in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

Lily

Get some pet wipes & clean the area regularly. Go to 'Forums' & type 'so you're confused about food' in the search box. Sedona's excellent post about choosing dog food should come up.
Dogs are meat eaters & Beneful is mostly grain & a few veggies. Such a pretty bag! A good food for the dog should have meat as the first ingredient, no corn, no wheat, no soy, no pesticides, all natural preservatives. I just described Canidae & Premium Edge. Two of my favorites in the mid price range. I pay $.84 a pound for Canidae if I buy the big bag. You feed less of it, so it may be cheaper than Beneful. Beneful is a Purina product. There is a class action suit against Purina for using euthanized shelter pets & diseased animals in their food.
A vegetable based diet changes the Ph in a dog's or person's urine. That may be causing the irritation. Another possibility is an allergy. Corn, wheat & soy are high allergen ingredients.
It's good that you are asking. We all the want the best for our pets.

Lily answered on May 2nd.

Answers

Miss Buddie

She might have an infection or an allergy. Either way you need to see a vet to find out the best way to help her.

Miss Buddie answered on 5/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would see your vet, it might be something that she eats once in awhile like a new treat or a tasty plant outside. Definately rule out infection first then start to watch what she is eating.