My female cocker spaniel has horrible itching. Skin is not red, but she cries and wants me to scratch her all the time.

My female cocker spaniel has horrible itching. Skin is not red, but she cries and wants me to scratch her all the time. Benedryl, topical treatments haven't worked.

Asked by Member 797284 on Jan 26th 2009 Tagged constantitching, cockerspaniel, adult, female in Allergies

Best Answer

The vet should scrape her skin and look at it under a microscope and that might tell if she has any type of mite or other critters bothering her skin. But, it most likely is a food allergy. I have a friend that has a dog with severe allergies that make her dog scratch obsessively, to the point of bleeding. She switched to an all buffalo based food and her dog is doing great. You will most likely need to experiment with different foods, but you'll need to find out if your dog is allergic to chicken, corn meal, gluten or any of the other ingredients commonly found in dog food. I have another friend whose dog is allergic to chicken based food. Same thing, he itches like crazy and chews like crazy. His owner switched to lamb based foods and his dog does great.
You'll have to really take the time to experiment with the foods. Good luck.

answered on Jan 27th.

Answers

Sounds like a food allergy. Switch her to a corn-free, grain-free (esp wheat) food like Evo or Orijen or Core and see what happens. It takes a little bit to clear it up, but that sounds like what it is to me.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Berkanna

What ever you do when you are scratching her. Don't scratcher her with your nails. This could lead to bigger problems with infections by opening up the skin and gtting irretants in there. I don't believe that it would be a food alergy if Benedryl is not working.

Is there dry skin flakes in the area that she wants to be scratched? She could have some sort of infection that requires a trip to the vet to get the proper medication.

Yes food allergies are quite common in all dogs because most of the foods are made with corn meal (just a filler for food and make the dog not hungry after being fed) And yes ichtyness is common with this but so is black smelly ear wax and runny eyes. It could be because you may be in a cold climate and she has gotten frost bite that you dontknow about.

Berkanna answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buckeye, my dog, had allergies and does scratch and lick a lot. We switched to a chicken, glutten, wheat free dog food that has helped tons! It could be her food, shampoo, outside allergies, fleas.. I suggest going to the vet before that gets severe. Good luck.

Daisy

www.earthclinic.com
I prefer natural remedies. This place might have the better answer for you.
Best of Luck
Daisy/Ruff

Daisy answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer