Simi and Maghony

My female bullmastiff/ French mastiff has started her cycle? Confused?

I am not sure, but yesterday, my female bullmastiff/ French mastiff was laying on my light pink rug, got up sniffed around the rug and layed back down in the other direction. She did this three times. Finally, i told her to come and eat, and when I did, I spotted a drop of blood, so i put her out on the back patio. Now since then I haven't seen any blood. My mastiff is only 8 months and four days. Is this normal. Or is she hitting her puberty days? Can a dog have puberty?

Asked by Simi and Maghony on Aug 4th 2008 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

The first heat can come anywhere from 5 month through almost 2 years.
Keep her as far away from males as possible, because unlike humans dogs are receptive during in heat, usually on the 12-14th day of heat, but it can vary very greatly with different females.

♥Tiffy♥

She could be in the beginning stages of her heat cycle. It can start as early as 6 months. Just to be safe, I would buy some doggie diapers or put her on some panties with a pad. I just realized you said she is a mastiif, so she may be too big for this. Just continue to monitor her so she doesn't mess your house. Follow this link for more info:
www.talktothevet.com

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes she is old enough to start her heat cycles though monitoring her so she doesn't mess your house would be less than my major concern...My major concern would be that she be bred...Please have her spayed for her health & safety.

Baby

i have an 8 month old mastiff that has just started to go in heat...at first they will swell up and there will be a lil bit of blood then after a few days it will get heavier....if your mastiff is younger than 8 months she is probly not in heat..vet says its normal for them to bleed a lil when they are younger but that it doesnt last long at all. went through same with ours...u will definitely know when she goes in full heat ...and depending on her size a quick fix to keep from having mess in house is take a swimsuit bottom that will fit her & cut hole out for her tail & use pads in it...its cheaper than the doggie diapers that dont fit this large breed..if u have any more questions i'd be glad to help

Baby answered on 7/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer