Tank

My english Mastiff is 10 months old he is about 165 lbs. He not eating as much as before.

I am feeding him Royal Canin Giant puppy dry food. He use to eat 4 cups in the morning 4 cups in the afternoon and 4 cups in the evening. This week he is not eating as much only about 3 cups total though out the day. Should i mix SOFT food with the dry? He not sick. His stool is the same going about 3 times a day. No change in the way he acts.

Asked by Tank on Sep 12th 2012 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

I have a 7 year old female english mastiff, okay well my intended spouse does I do all the work to keep her healthy and feed etc...Your mastiff is almost top of his weight chart so he does not need to be fed 3 times a day 2 times a day is ok now. If hes not hungry after about 30 minutes to 1 hour pick up his food and put away dont leave it out for him. According to you hes going 3 times a day which means he is eatting "something" and we all human & pets go when we eat....even though you state hes not sick I recommend having your dog check by a vet just in case. They hide illnesses better then we can

Ikan

It is not uncommon for puppies when they get older not to need as much to eat. They are not growing as fast and may not be as active. I do not think it is much to worry about

Ikan answered on 9/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

For his age and weight, it sounds like you were feeding him too much. With giant breed dogs you want them to grow slowly and consistently as to promote healthy bone development. At 10 months old it sounds like he has nearly reached his adult expectancy, but he still has an entire year of growing to do.

My advice, stop the afternoon meal completely, switch him over to Royal Canin Giant Junior (for dogs over 8 months) and offer him about 4 cups dry twice daily. If he doesn't eat all of it, not a big deal, as long as he is eating, pooping, and acting like a healthy pup, it sounds like he is regulating his nutritional needs himself.

At about 2 years of age, when he is done growing, move him on to Giant Adult food if you continue with Royal Canin.