William Copperpot

My dogs suddenly won't eat their dog food. It started with one pup and now they both won't eat.

We have tried changing bowls and that worked once or twice, but now they will only eat it off the floor or out of my hands. We have tried ignoring them to see if they eventually got hungry but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions or help?

Asked by William Copperpot on Apr 25th 2013 in Pet Food

Answers

Maybe there's something wrong with the dog food? Have you tried switching or buying a new bag?

When you say, "won't eat", do you mean nothing at all? Or have they just cut back drastically on their food intake? How long will they ignore food before they eat on their own?

A 6 month old small breed is pretty much full size and may naturally slow their intake as they no longer need it to grow.

Larger breeds need less food between 12-24 months of age.

A vet visit is a good start as a precaution.

Sandy

My dog use to do this every 3 bags of food he would want to switch. Now that I feed raw he loves to eat, but if u prefer kibble maybe try a different brand every couple bags.

Sandy answered on 4/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

puppies you say. well get them to vet asap. lots of things could be going wrong. It would be best in their interest to go to doctor first. Parvo is #1 killer of pups, then you got the long list following gardia, worms, and distemper ect.... if the vet says hey they are fine then go to the least worrying issue. foods. A puppy should have a very vibrant appetite. all they do is play and eat in the first few months. if you think they are not hungry and lethargic this is serious. :( hope you feel better copperpot. if you need any puppy food suggestions later, I'd recommend any food by EVO