my dogs snout and eyes are so swollen

my dogs eyes and snout are swollen, shes been to the vet numerous times they put her on prenazone, and benydryl but nothing is helping it goes down and flares up again. she is running a fever and her eyes are watering. she hasnt lost her appetite and is drinking alot can you please help. i dont have the money to keep taking her to the vet when it doesnt help her.

Asked by Member 655957 on Jul 16th 2008 Tagged swollen, snout, eyes in Allergies

Answers

Vance CGC

Get a second opinion. Remember that vets are people. They are not all-knowing Gods of Dog Medicine. Some of them are good at what they do, others are not, and everyone gets stumped sometimes no matter how skilled they are. Realize you may need to run some tests, because without certain information all any vet can do is guess.

It sounds as if your current vet has been treating this as an allergic reaction, which makes a lot of sense. But if the treatment she's on isn't helping, it's time to try something else.

Remember too that a treatment may take time. Discuss with your vet what the meds are for and how long it may take to see results. In your current situation, I think you're right, it's not working. Pred usually kicks in almost immediately and I've known Benedryl to be completely hit or miss, depending on the dog.

Vance CGC answered on 7/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It sounds like he got bit or stung by something. It happens to my dog's a lot! Except they get little hivesHives
Hives (urticaria) - close-up
Hives (urticaria) on the arm
Hives (urticaria) on the back
Hives (urticaria) on the back and buttocks
Hives (urticaria) on the chest
Hives (urticaria) on the trunk on the top of there headHead and face reconstruction
Head injury
Head lice
Indications of head injury
Radial head injury also! As long as he is eatingAnorexia nervosa
Binge eating
Bulimia
Eating disorders - resources
Necrotizing soft tissue infection
Sweating
Sweating - absent, drinking, and acting totally normal, I wouldn't worry too much. He probably was playing with a bug or something.

Bomber

I have an APBT that had the same problem. the lips and eyes were swollen. He also had an ear infection. The vet said it was food allergies. Benadryl only helps stop the itching so the skin can heal. Sounds like he needs a good antibiotic cephalyxin is what we used for 3 weeks.

Bomber answered on 8/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer