My dog's recent actions are worrying me

Recently my sisters dog came to live with me because my sister is having her house redone. Bailey is 9-10 years old and he is a beagle mix. Hes a very good dog, listens very well, but is not active at all; he will not play no matter how much i try. He is overweight for sure, and his diet is not good, a lot of table food, i know its not good, but thats my sisters fault and now he really wont eat his dog food. I bought him the dog bacon which he loves, so i have been giving him that pretty often. I went to PA with just the dog this week, when i left the house, i would find a poop upstairs when i got home. He is starting to go through garbage whenever he is home alone, hes not listening anymore, he peed in the house a couple of times recently, and i was just outside with him and he was laying down and pee was coming out. Yesterday he bit my nephew on the hand and i was petting him later on and he yelped. I love him so much and it is really worrying me. any ideas on the problem?

Asked by Member 1194232 on Oct 13th 2013 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

The problem is a complete lack of training. You cannot expect a dog who has been allowed to do whatever it wants to behave now. Put pee pads where he is prone to having accidents, so you at least do not have to scrub the floor. If the dog is as overweight as you say he is, is it really so bad that he won't eat dog food? Skip the table food, because dogs will eat when they're hungry. Dog-proof your home as you would baby proof and you will be fine. This is a temporary solution to the permanent problem that your sister created. If you can't handle the dog anymore, let her know that she will have to find a different temporary home for him, like another friend or a kennel. ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 1/22/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer