my dogs paw has a open wound and is severely swollen what can i do?

his paw has a cut between his toes and is infected and swollen what can i do for him?

Asked by Member 988443 on May 22nd 2010 Tagged medicaltreatment in Health & Wellness

Answers

You can get him to the vet.

Immediately.

Any time you have a dog with a wound like this, you need to have it seen by a vet. If the cut is still bleeding, it may need stitches and if you wait too long, there is only a short window of opportunity for stitches to be sewn in otherwise the cut will have to heal on it's own, which is more complicated and a longer process in most cases.

Also, the swelling is very indicative of a serious infection which would also need to be diagnosed and treated medically.

The paw is likely very painful at the moment and if there is infection present, if you leave it and don't get it treated by a real vet, you risk everything from prolonging his pain and suffering to having him lose the leg or worse.....untreated infections in the tissue like that can cause blood poisoning and kill a dog.

So, the best thing you can do for him is to take him right now to a vet.

Good luck. I hope he's better soon. :-)

To add to Jack's excellent advice, once the wound is clean & you have him on antibiotics (possibly) you can take an old knee sock and pull it over the foot and as far up the leg as you can. Vet tape it lightly just above the paw & at the top of the sock. This will keep the dog from gnawing/chewing at the paw. Even if you vet wraps it a sock is an extra layer of protection and by the time the dog has loosened it is usually time you want to check the dressing anyways! So go to the vet and good luck. Hope he gets better soon.

Teddy

Living in a wooded area, my dogs are getting cuts on their legs and paws alot. I have been fortunate not to have any of them get infected, however there are a couple of times, I thought it could have used stitches, but they all seemed to heal really well. I did use an antibiotic ointment given to my by my vet. I think this is what has kept the cuts from getting infected.

Since your dog has already gotten an infection and is swollen, then your vet will probably want to put him on an antibiotic as well as a cream. Even if stitches aren't needed, the wound will probably need to be cleaned thoroughly. I clean all my dogs cuts, but my vet has shown me how to do it effectively, so unless you are sure about how to do this, you might have your vet take a look-see to see how severe it really is. Either way, im sure he will subscribe an antibiotic to help clear the infection and maybe some pain meds.

Good luck!!!

Teddy answered on 5/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer