my dogs ear (pittbull) has a cut on the very end and it wont heal ,it looks like it is getting bigger or he is loosing m

he has like a blood vessel on his head that pops open under stress . I think anyway ...plus his ear keeps bleeding from the end and wont heal no matter what I do .

Asked by Member 962047 on Feb 10th 2010 Tagged cut, bleeding, blood, healing, help, firstaid, ear, pitbull in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hector

My dog Teddy ripped his ear once while playing with my pit (Bo.) Bo had him by the ear and Teddy shook his head, causing a nasty rip.

I called my vet, he said to clean it really good, use neosporin, watch it for a day or two, if it started looking infected, to bring him in and he would prescribe an ointment.

The neosporin worked for me. If your pit's ear is looking infected, you might skip the neosporin and have the vet give you something stronger that would work faster.

My pit has the vein thing you described as well. Don't know what that is about.

Hector answered on 2/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You really should take your dog to the vet to have it checked. Maybe a stitch or two would help with the healing process and the vet could possibly bandage it up somehow.
The vet is always my first stop when something, anything happens to Deogie. Yes, it does cost a bit of money but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I have had this happen a couple of times. Once it was bad enough i had to take the dog in for stitches to close it. If you do this you may have to get one of those collars on the head to keep them from getting to it. The other time i just had to keep it clean and keep them calm for a few days to help it to heal. If it is getting bigger i think i would go to the vet and get it looked at. best of luck to you.

Petri

You can use PETfection Paw Cream on something like this... with or without stitches. You can check it out at www.mypetfection.com. It is a multipurpose cream and works fantastically at healing up cuts. It also has antibacterial properties and will help prevent infection from entering. It is organic and non toxic too. obviously use your judgement on how bad the cut is... decide if he needs to go to the vet and get stitches first or if isn't too bad and you can clean it yourself and use the paw cream. good luck!

Petri answered on 2/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spike

Here is some commen sense advice. GO TO THE VET.

Spike answered on 2/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer