Gizmo

my dogs butt hole is swollen

around my dog's butt is swollen, all the way around the outside. is this a symptom of allergies or should he be checked out at the vets?

Asked by Gizmo on Sep 22nd 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I think he needs to be taken to the vet. This isn't usually a symptom of allergies, it's more likely impacted or infected anal glands or an injury.

This is definitely something that needs to be definitively diagnosed by your vet, even if there are no other symptoms. More than likely, it's something simple and easily treated, but he's probably uncomfortable and the sooner you take him, the sooner he'll be feeling better and the better chance he has at an easy, good outcome.

He's cute, good luck with him. I'm sure he'll be fine if you take him in right away. :-)

Mina

I agree with the first poster... apparently a lot of small dogs need their anal glands cleaned regularly. You'll have to bring him to a vet... or a groomer. Some groomers can do this for you.

Mina answered on 9/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocky

I agree that you should take the dog to the vet. Anal glands can get impacted and even rupture and get infected, not good for your dog or carpet. After he is taken to the vet, if it was his anal glands, and they have healed and become fluidy again, to save you money here is how you do it ( I work at a vet and its really easy) You lube up your index finger while wearing a glove and insert it into his rectum. You are going to feel two small bubble at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock (imagine his but as a clock and the 5 and 7 are the places to start) you are going to GENTLY,yet firmly, roll the gland until it excretes a tan/yellow fluid. They have an unforgetable smell! You will need to repeat this with the other side. If they are impacted it is a lot more difficult and could hurt your pup so I would take it back to the vet and get anitbiotics. Allergies and itchy skin can be a sign of full anal glands as well.

Rocky answered on 9/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Try pulling your finger out, this should relieve some of the swelling. At least for the first few days.