my dog(a 8yr old shiz zu) just ate a tooth-pick should i take her to the vet or sit it out?

Asked by Member 986072 on May 8th 2010 in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Feed her some cotton balls. Put something on them if you have to to get her to eat them.

Gidget

If she chewed it up first, it will probably be okay. If she swollowed it without chewing, I would be a little concerned.

Watch her stool to see if she passes it. Watch for ANY signs of distress or change in behavior or bowel habits. First sign of something just not right, I would take her in.

My youngest dog Gidget found some toothpicks in my moms purse once. She left trails of them behind, all chewed. Fortunately she did okay through it, but I was watching closely to see if I was going to have to take her to the vet.

So watch closely!!!!!! Be prepared for a mad dash to the vet. Hopefully it will all be fine this time for you too.

Good luck!!!

Gidget answered on 5/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am not ok with the whole cotton ball thing. I don't advise you feeding a dog something that is not natural like that. Sounds bad and since it is a pointy object the best thing to do is call your vet right away.
Tooth picks are sharp and strong pieces of wood.
I would say this is serious. If the dog chewed it up before swallowing then maybe she is going to be ok.
I think a vet is your best answer. I would seek a professionals advice first. I do hope the dog will be ok.

I just spoke with my vet about my dog swallowing a whole toothpick.

He said to feed her 4 small meals of rice alone for two days and do poop checks. Also, keep her less active than normal for a few days, only taking her out on a leash and not letting her run around.

He said the cotton ball theory was a bad idea.

And, Of course, if anything seems out of the ordinary 'til it passes, call the vet.