Holly

My dog yawns a lot. She yawns when we are walking, when she is riding in the car and while playing. Is that normal?

She gets plenty of sleep!

Asked by Holly on May 5th 2009 Tagged yawn, health in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX

Yawning is a calming signal dogs sometimes give to one another or in a stressful situation. Think about the context of when it happens. Is there a dog approaching? Does Holly want a break from play with people or another dog? Is she acclimated to riding in a car? There's a lot of stimulation in the car.

I found using a click and treat or a "yes" and treat used when a dog or person is far away extremely effective. My dogs are very social, but I think they also anticipate meeting other dogs (higher stress/anxiety) and it helps for them to learn impulse control.

So, she may not be yawning simply because she is tired.

She looks very alert and sweet. Have fun together!

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX answered on May 5th.

Answers

It can be or the dog is just bored. One of our large dogs is doing that alot sometimes, she is bored. The dog could be using it as a stress releaver also. I would provide a chew bone on rides and put her in a crate. And interact with her in more exciting ways.

Charlie Pete

I'd agree with Lilliana. My dog does that when he is stressed and hyperexcited.

Charlie Pete answered on 5/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jasper

Yes as one of the other posters mentioned on here, some times dogs yawn in the presence of other dogs to signify that "I'm not a threat to you. I mean no harm." When you go for walks and she yawns, are you passing other dogs? Might be something to look out for!

As for yawning when in the car, she just might be tired! Especially from the movement of the car, same way as babies tend to fall asleep in cars, because the movement is relaxing to reminds them of being in the womb.. apparently! lol

Jasper answered on 5/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer