My dog won't walk with me?

I have an 11 year old yellow lab named Sammi. She refuses to walk with me. My parents and other siblings have no trouble whatsoever when walking with her. When I try, Sammi will just stand there and not move or will sit down. Even my friends who have never walked her have no trouble. It's only me that she won't walk with. I was just wondering why this happens? Why just me? What could I have done? And what could I do differently?

Asked by Member 1184803 on Aug 9th 2013 in Leash Walking

Answers

Were you the youngest when she was growing up? If so, she sees you as an inferior companion to those who came before you, sorry. Do you have another pet like a cat that you smell like? Dogs go by smell. Have you tried treats (like greenies) as rewards for walking? She may be able to sense your tentativeness, and once dogs smell fear, they will do whatever they want. I would accompany others she "allows" to walk her and then have them hand the leash to you halfway through the walk with them on the dog's other side. Chances are she won't stop then. If she does, you will all have to work together to remediate the problem, and unless you can read her mind, it's difficult to tell exactly why this is happening. ^_^