Roxy

MY DOG WON'T STOP BARKING! how do i get her to stop?!

my dog barks at every thing! cars driving by, people walking by our house and bikes going past our house ...
i want her to quit she is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asked by Roxy on Feb 9th 2010 in Barking

Answers

Eloise

I had the same problem with my 5 mos old Havanese when I first got her at 9 wks. My other dog, a yellow lab doesn't bark too much at all, so I wasn't used to a dog that barked. I bought some of the spray on phermone that is supposed to remind the dog of his/her mom. Not sure if it worked or not - Then I bought the collar that sprays the citronella whenever the dog barks, however I never used it on her. I just kept after her with the NO, NO BARK, NO...everytime she barked...now when I leave for work and she is in her crate, she doesn't bark. I really don't know why she barks less...try the citronella collar, everytime they bark, citronella sprays out. I won't do the electric collar, I would feel awful.

Eloise answered on 2/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Is she getting enough exercise and thing to do inside the house as well.
Sometimes if you live in a really busy area you have to get blinds and just shut them at the busy times.
Other then that try freezing some dog treats.
That might keep her entertained some.

Hector

Some dogs are just barkers. Keeping them well exercised will help keep them from getting so excited everytime something passes by, unless it is interesting enough to rise out of their slumber.

Lots of attention and playing should help out considerably, but it will not completely eliminate the barking. She may grow out of some of it as well, when the bikes stop being exciting.

Good luck

Hector answered on 2/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Neka

Some dogs are more pron to barking than others. Physical exercise and mental stimulation will help alot.

Desencitizing her to "movement" is probably the best thing you can do. Start at a long distance and reward her (praise or treats) for remaining calm. Then move in closer when she remains calm. Go SLOW, take only a few steps at a time.

Eliminating the barking completely is probably not going to be possible.

You may want to consider teaching the dog the "SPEEK" command. It stands to reason that if you teach the dog to speek, you will also teach it the "quiet" command. I've done this with all of my dogs and the dogs i have worked with over the years.

She may grow out of it ... but personally, I wouldn't count on it!

Neka answered on 2/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Am in the middle of reading Randy Grim's book, "Don't Dump The Dog"
It's a quick read, a side splitter, and has practical advice to solve common problems. Barking is Chapter 4.

Some dogs are more alert and bark more than others.
Most owners ENCOURAGE the barking by mistake and ignore the silence.
Reward Roxy and praise her when she stops barking. Don't yell, it sounds like you are joining in to her! Get up, go to the window or door, and quietly send her to her bed. It takes practice. Use a tall body and a stern look with eye contact to block her from the view and send her away.

NOT AN OVERNIGHT CURE.

It will take consistant training for a long time, the barking will get less and less.
It will improve faster if your timing with praise for being quiet is good. Consult a trainer if the timing alludes you.

Although I may need to know more about your routines I would suggest the following.
Be sure to exercise your dog with daily walks and play time. Draining off excess anxious energy is a great way to keep your dog balanced. Also, never reward the barking by trying to comfort or pet the dog into silence.
A short "shossing noise" or a tap (light) on the dogs side with a firm "stop" or "No Bark" will help. Consistency with all in the family is very importane. Again, never reward the barking with comfort or food and walk, walk, walk, the dog.