My Dog wont eat or drink?

My Miniature Dachshund that I got on Saturday will not eat. He will only eat meat but wont eat dry food out of the bowl or on the floor. I have to feed him meats for him to eat. He will drink but not often and I know he perfers warm milk and I try to give it to him and sometimes he just wont eat it. Besides that he is a very healthy dog.

He is 4 Months old and about 6 pounds. Can anyone help me?

I have tried:
-Cold Milk
-Warm Milk
-Milk in his dry food
-Water
-And just plain dry food

Asked by Member 561440 on Jan 22nd 2008 Tagged food, dog, wonteat in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Chloe Chanel

ok Chloe did this when we first brought her home and it is beause she is trying to ajust in there new environment. We got her nutra- cal. You can get it at petsmart or most pet supply stores. It worked. Good Luck. Also, Pedialite that you give to babies, that will also get them hydrated! Hope I helped!

Chloe Chanel answered on Jan 22nd.

Answers

~Sophie~

He is probably just nervous in his new surroundings. You can also try a teaspoon or so of canned food, nonfat plain yogurt or cottage cheese to entice him to eat.

~Sophie~ answered on 1/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Juno

My dog did the same thing when I first brought her home, but only with breakfasts. (She was hungry enough come dinner-time to wolf down her food.) Instead of trying to entice her with different foods, I set her bowl out with the same food at the same time each morning, and if she refused to eat after twenty minutes I put the food away. After only two mornings she learned when it was time to eat and what she could count on having. This daily routine in addition to making her eat also helped her feel more secure in her new home because she knew what to expect.

Good luck, and congratulations on your new friend!

Juno answered on 1/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's not really unusual behavior. A lot of dogs that are new to a home won't eat well for a couple of days. It's a big change for them and they have to adjust to a new home, new family, and new routine.

Do you have contact with the previous owners? What kind of food did they feed and what schedule did they feed him on? You should feed the same and stick to the same schedule.

If your puppy has no problem eating (raw) meat, then I would consider feeding him a proper, balanced raw diet. Read about getting started with that here - www.rawdogranch.com It's a good site with lots of infos for raw feeding beginners.

If you're giving the puppy meat now, you should know that raw fed dogs drink less than dogs fed kibble. That is normal. There's a lot of water in the meat that they consume so they don't need as much water.

Stop giving him milk, cold or warm. Most dogs are lactose intolerant and milk is really not healthy for them. Try plain chicken broth or beef broth instead.