My dog won't eat, is throwing up, walking funny, doesn't want to do anything but lay around. I went to the vet the very

I took him to the vet and they say it's just an ear infection. I've been giving him the drops for 3 days now and no change. Still won't eat, so I took him back this morning and they gave him a steroidal shot and nausia shot. But he seems worse. Can an ear infection really cause all these symptoms or could it be something else?

Asked by Member 898963 on Oct 9th 2009 in Forums

Answers

Yes, an ear infection certainly can cause those symptoms... he's dizzy!!! Just like if you had a severe ear infection...headache, dizzy, vomiting... all from vertigo from the pressure in the ear.
That said, if the shots don't help in a few days, get a second opinion.

Fritz

I don't know. If it were my dog, I would be looking for another vet to get a second opinion.

A while back, I read a post from someone with a sick dog that had parvo, her vet wouldn't even check, she saved the dogs life by going to a second vet.

Good luck, I hope he is better soon.

Fritz answered on 10/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes, an ear infection can cause these symptoms (this is an infection of the inner ear, which affects balance - not at all like "swimmer's ear"). You don't mention the age of your dog, but it's fairly common in older dogs. Depending on the severity of the infection, some symptoms can persist indefinitely, but once the infection clears a bit, the nausea and poor appetite will resolve.

I would take dog tomorrow morning if not sooner.
If they said infection in the ear why didn't you get antibotics? I think it is time to consult with a better vet who will take the time to help your dog.

Antibiotics don't work overnight. If the vet still thought it was at least partly the ear infection, I would continue the ear drops until Monday. If no better, go back to the vet. If the vet still doesn't seem to have a better idea, then it is time to see a second one.

A few days of not eating won't hurt. Keep offering it its regular food. Take away what isn't eaten.