My dog won't eat her food off the floor when she knocks her bowl over. How do I correct this behavior?

My dog and I are in a standoff. She is a 6 yr old American bulldog however she is not aggressive. She is trained and understands most basic commands, however she is also "bull"headed and sometimes just decides she doesn't want to obey. Recently she has started knocking her bowl over when she eats and will NOT eat anything off the floor. I am fed up with constantly sweeping up her mess. She is fed in the laundry room which is also where she sleeps at night. ( she is VERY gassy). So this time I left the food on the floor and removed her bowl so after a day she still hadn't eaten the food off the floor. By the way, she knows the command "eat". So last night I removed her pillow that she sleeps on. Halfway through day 2 and she still refuses to eat the food. Even the doggy treat that my daughter put on the floor in the laundry room behind my back is still untouched! What do you recommend to correct the new behavior of knocking her food dish over?

Asked by Member 1151941 on Jan 25th 2013 Tagged clean, home, food, eating, commands, stubborn, disobedient, training in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I've never been able to correct that behavior. So, I bought a bowl that's thicker at the bottom than at the top. That way they can't knock it over. If they try, it just moves around. You can get them at any pet store. I got mine at WalMart. Also, if she's very gassy, then try changing her food. Something in what your feeding may not agree with her. Good Luck!

What exactly does removing her bed accomplish? She would not make a connection to such a thing. I doubt she won't eat off the floor to disobey you, just sounds like a personal quirk. Try a heavier bowl that is hard to tip. If se is so gassy she needs to sleep in the laundry room I would contemplate a different food with another protein source or without grains, or try giving her a probiotic.