My dog wont eat dog food we have tried everything from dry food to wet food what can we do?

My husband found a dog 3 days ago and he wont eat dog food we think that he might of gotten table fed and he has gotten used to it or he has been out on his own for so long that he was acquired a taste to it. what can we do how can we reintroduce the dog food to him?

Asked by Member 1148322 on Jan 5th 2013 in Homemade Food

Answers

Sputnik

He might honestly have something wrong with him. First off, I'd take him to the vet to see if theres a reason he's not eating, and see what the vet reccommends. Secondly, if the dogs just being picky because it has gotten table scraps in the past, just keep trying to feed him dog food. When anything is hungry enough it will eat, unless of course its truely sick.

Sputnik answered on 1/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Roger Biduk

It's very odd. I would also recommend phoning a good holistic vet for an inexpensive phone consultation.
An enzyme rich raw meat diet is best. You didn't mention if you tried raw. All my animals eat raw and I recommend it to all my clients.
If giving a commercial food, make sure it's grain-free, low starch and contains only human-grade ingredients. Wet food is healthiest for animals.

When I found my Siberian Husky two years ago he was in terrible shape: Fat deposits covered his body, his gums were discolored and his teeth were brown. He had so many allergies that his paws and were raw and bleeding from gnawing at them he was also diabetic.
All the above went away within four weeks and he's now the best looking and healthiest dog of the many I see every day. Here's his diet:

Half pound of raw beef, turkey or chicken, half pound of organ meats (mixture of beef liver, beef kidney, chicken liver & hearts), 2 raw eggs, one raw meaty beef rib bone, 2 krill oil capsules and a multivitamin.

Roger Biduk answered on 1/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If this dog has only been with you for three days, most likely he is still adjusting and perhaps missing his owners. I manage a boarding kennel and it is not at all unusual for new boarding dogs to refuse to eat for a number of days.
I do hope you have made some attempt to find this dogs owner...at the very least contacted area shelters and taken him in to your vets to be scanned for a microchip, as well as placed a lost and found ad in the local papers. It is extremely possible he is someone's beloved pet and is missing them!
Imagine if it were YOUR dog and whoever found him made no attempt to locate you, I am sure you would be devastated!