Sadie Liberty

My dog woke up with red swollen skin around nose, eyes, and in ears.

Yesterday my standard poodle woke up with red swollen skin at each side of her nose. I immediately called the vet. When we got to the clinic I noticed she had a couple of red bumps around her eyes and several in her ears. The vet decided it was most likely an allergy. He took blood work to send to a lab to test for allergies, but in the meantime he said to give her benadryl. The benadryl has not helped at all! And today her nose sores are bleeding. I don't know if they're bleeding because they're getting worse or if it's only because she wont quit licking it.

Is this even an allergy at all?!

I live in a small town and no vet office is open to call on Sunday, so any suggestions on what I should do until I can call him tomorrow?


Asked by Sadie Liberty on Jan 27th 2013 in Allergies
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Kali

You can try getting sulfadene Shampoo. You can get it from Walmart and its inexpensive. Its medicated and it's for itchiness. It should give some relief. It used to work on a Golden we used to have. Please keep us posted on let us know what the vet says tomorrow. You might also try changing her food. Try changing to a food that had less/no grain and less filler and a different protein like Fish or Lamb. Changing the food will not fix the problem overnight. But give it a chance over the coarse of a few weeks. Good Luck!


Kali answered on 1/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

This sounds like either an infection OR an reaction following an allergic bee sting or bite, not food allergy or sensitivity. Food allergy will not produce a sudden issue, it is more of a gradual worsening of skin, usually feet/ears first. I would keep using the Benadryl and get to the vet in the morning.
Sulfadene is VERY PAINFUL to raw, irritated skin as it contains quite a bit of alcohol, as well as coal tar and actually will not help if there is a bacterial infection. Try it on a cut or scratch on yourself... it hurts like crazy!!! It is also extremely irritating to sensitive areas like eyes and ears. Its purpose is more for flakey, dandruff conditions without raw sores, more like seborrhea, not something like this that sounds more like an infection.


Member 641257 answered on 1/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer