My dog will not eat dry dog food but loves dry cat food. Will it harm him? He's also picky w/wet food. He needs help

Asked by Member 862849 on Sep 2nd 2009 in Pet Food

Answers

Bubbles

I've heard that cat food shouldn't be given to dogs because of the high protein content, and a different balance of nutrients. If your dog is eating a few pieces it should be fine, but don't let him eat a whole bowl of it.

As for the not eating, put his bowl of kibble down on the ground, and if he doesn't eat it within 15 minutes take it away. Do this with every feeding. Try not to give him table scraps either.

Bubbles answered on 9/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lexie

Cat food is very bad for dogs it can make them very sick.

Lexie answered on 9/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

moms maxim evil (max)

cat food can damage a dog's kindeys...i had a dog die because the protein made lumps grow in the kidneys....Max's mom

moms maxim evil (max) answered on 9/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats and dogs have different nutritional needs. Neither will do well on the other's food. The other answers make some good points, but I want to say more.

If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will wolf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, www.longliveyourdog.com You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods or different brands into eating more than it needs. Instead, as the first answer, put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

Hey, my GSD used to be picky, due to her former care-giver spoiling her. Nothing cures pickiness like a healthy does of tough love...won't eat what you give her? Well, tough. Get the message across that she is to eat what you have for her or go hungry: leave the food out for a certain amount of time, then take it away and give her absolutely nothing else unless her next meal time. Keep repeating, she'll get the message in a few days, at most.

Ginger-  M.I.A.

The cat food probably tastes better than the dog food because of higher protein and fat. Dogs cannot get too much protein, that's a myth. Some premium dog foods have up to 40 percent, while cheap food can be less than 20. Maybe switch to a higher-quality dog food? Ginger doesn't like cheap food usually either... Its mostly grains and filler, not meat.
Cat food will not harm your dog if he eats it only occasionally. The nutritional balance is off for long-term feeding, though.
check out dogaware.com for lots of dog nutrition info, or dogfoodproject.com for more. Not all dog food is created equal!

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 9/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer