My dog will go through phases where he will not eat. He will stand by his full food for hours, drooling, not eating.

I've tried only leaving out the food for 30 or 15 minutes at a time. That just results in him not eating for days. I've tried moving him and his food into another room so he's all alone. I've tried moving his food into what ever room I'm currently in. I've tried sitting at the kitchen table, right next to his food dish. I've tried bribing him, adding beef stock or wet food to his dry food. I've changed brands more times than I can count. The only thing that ever eventually works is letting him simply stave himself for days on end - so far his gone almost 5 full days at a stretch before giving in and eating. I know he's hungry as he'll eat the cats food if he can get to it or even go the neighbors and beg for food from them when they're feeding their dogs. He's a smart dog, has a job helping with my horses. But this food refusal thing has me thinking of giving him up. He's driving me nuts! I feel like I'm doing something to cause this but there doesn't seem to be a trigger for it.

Asked by Member 1126884 on Aug 21st 2012 Tagged foodrefusal, food, eating, starving, bordercollie in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I wouldn't give the dog up for that.. Something might be causing him pain in his mouth or it might hurt him to eat. I would have the vet check him out before you give up on him. My dog was like that and it turned out he had Lyme disease. You never know until you get him to the vet.

Ra

I agree to have him checked at the vet ASAP. It's very likely a health issue that's causing it.

Ra answered on 8/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Seth

Anything over two days if not eating should be a sign that something is wrong and you need a vets help

Seth answered on 8/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer