My dog was spayed a week and ago and is having bladder control issues starting today. Is this because of the surgery?

A week and a half ago my dog was spayed and today I took her back in because the incision site was infected. They gave her a shot and new medications but ever since she's been home she's had no bladder control. Could this be because of the shot or complication with the surgery?

Asked by Member 1060530 on Oct 1st 2011 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Most likely it is a result of the drugs. Spay incontinence is a more gradual occurance AND results from a gradual loss of muscle and spincter control due to a lack of hormones. Most likely, at less than 2 weeks post spay your girl STILL has plenty of hormones circulating in her system, AND she would not have lost the muscle spincter control yet... it normally takes years for that to occur.
Depending on the infection, it is possible that the infection is also affecting her bladder and the antibiotics will help that.
Not knowing what the shot was I can only speculate, but if she received steroids for some reason, those will definitely cause a loss of bladder control. It would certainly be a good idea to contact your vet and mention this lack of control on the off chance that it IS resulting from the infection.

This happened to Libby, too. She got a bladder infection about a week after the spay (and was treated for it), but she needed to urinate more frequently (about every two hours) for a month or so after the surgery, to the point of going in the house if I was out longer than a couple of hours. She seems to have better control now. I'd watch her, and if it becomes prolonged, I would take her back to the vet. In the meantime, you may need someone to let her out during the day if you're going to be away from home.