Bradley

My dog was shot in the leg. It's been about a week & now there is swelling. What does that mean?

My dog is a pitbull who was shot by bounty hunters in his front left leg. The bullet didn't go through, just grazed it. Took out a pretty good chunk, about 1 inch wide & 2 inches long & 1/2 inch deep. I don't want to take him to vet because I'm afraid they'll put him to sleep. It's been about a week & I've been taking care of him myself. Now, his paw is pretty swollen. What would that be from? What do i do about it?

Asked by Bradley on Jul 20th 2012 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

I would tke him to the vet. It looks like your choices might be the vet (who may euthanise because of the breed's reputation) or lose your dog to infection which will be painful & horrible.

He probably has an infection. He needs to go to the vet ASAP. The infection can kill him if it gets out of hand or he could lose his leg. He probably needs an antibiotic. Sounds to me like you don't have a choice but to take him to the vet. Good Luck!

The vet won't put him to sleep unless you ask them to. What a ridiculous notion! Most vets will ALWAYS try to save an animal if the owner wants them to. Euthanasia is a last-ditch resort for an animal that is suffering and their is nothing else to be done, which I don't think is the case here.

The wound is probably infected- if you had gone and gotten him looked at (and probably put on antibiotics) sooner, this probably wouldn't have happened. But it's never too late to get him checked by a vet (until the dog dies, of course...) I think you should do it ASAP.