Pumkin

My dog throws up at night? Sometimes alot sometimes nothing. It's never chunky just watery.

I have a Yorkshire Terrier, that came from a Puppymill. He's about 6 yrs old. I haven't had him a year yet. I let him sleep with me or else he freaks out. He must be by his mommy at all times. Lately he's been vomitting in the bed. Not everynight but every other night or twice in a row. It's always a Yellowish color, I know this means their stomach is empty but he eats all day long we give free choice. I noticed little white chuncks sometimes just a few it looks like onion. But I do not feed my dogs onions I know what's bad for them. I worry it might be his teeth since puppy mill dogs teeth are just so terrible. He has a vet visit soon as I finish getting the money, It's going to cost me about 200 to clean and pull his teeth just to let you know how bad they are. Is there anything I can give him before bed to settle his stomach? Or can someone tell me what might be wrong with my little boy? I'm worried.


Asked by Pumkin on Apr 12th 2009 Tagged sick, vomit, throwup, yorkie, yorkshireterrier in Emergencies & First Aid
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Katie Belle

Although the free feeding might seem like the right thing to do, it is probably a major contributor to the problem. As you stated, his vomiting is probably because his stomach is empty. By allowing him to munch whenever he feels like it, you're increasing the likelihood that he will have an empty stomach in the middle of the night. After all, you don't have the food bowl in the bedroom with you, do you? Change the routine so that he is fed a set amount twice a day, then give him a goodie right before bedtime. The thing is, he needs to be hungry enough to want his bedtime goodie or this isn't going to work. While it might take him a little while to get used to scheduled feeding times, it will be better for his digestion. And be sure of one thing - he won't starve in the meantime!


Katie Belle answered on 4/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Miss Priss

Hello - Oh, I am sorry your boy needs teeth pulled! Poor kid -
I wonder if some tagament 1/2 tablet before bed ( 1 hr before) will do the trick?
Talk to your vet about that or see here:
from the Walker Valley VEt -
Canine tagament dosage:
TAGAMET (Cimetidine)/PEPCID-AC/ZANTAC:
Reduces the amount of stomach acids and can be dispensed to dogs and cats suffering from ulcers, acid reflux or belly ache. Sometimes they are used to prevent ulcers in animals taking other medications. These medications are given once to twice daily.

www.walkervalleyvet.com

Need more help - you can see pet Nurse Marie here at All Experts /
Ask the Pet Nurse
en.allexperts.com


Miss Priss answered on 4/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Jack

This sounds very much like an acid reflux problem.

Small dogs, especially terriers, are prone to this.

Jack had it when he was a puppy but grew out of it. Some dogs don't.. Just like in people, eating habits and stress can play roles in acid reflux.

Consult your vet, of course,but switch him over to feeding twice a day on an actual schedule. Free feeding for a dog with a sensitive tummy is probably contributing to the problem. Scheduled feeding will help, and I'd suggest giving him a treat midday or between meals, so that he does have something in there to digest, particularly if he's a picky eater and doesn't eat all his food each day.

Also, the best diet for any dog is a mix of canned and dry food. About 60/40 ratio meat/kilbble.

Try switching over a period of two to three weeks v. slowly to avoid gastric upset. If he's not on a premium food, try upgrading to a brand like Wellness or Innova.

Ask your vet about PEPCID, the most effective med for dogs.

Good luck


Jack answered on 4/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


milly

my dog who is also a yorkie throws up sometimes bright yellow ,but mostly when shes been around smokers ,


milly answered on 4/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Dieta

Has he been checked for heart worm.
A dog that is heavily infested can cough these up and this could be why he is acting sick. I would say vet asap, and see if they can take a blood test first for HW. good luck and I hope he feels better soon.


Dieta answered on 4/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


MIKO

I had the same problem with my dog (Shih Tzu) He would vomit every day, sometimes 2x sometimes at night or in the morning. He was eating his food like it was his last meal!!!! My vet prescribed me Hills Prescription I/D formula and determined he was not digesting his food. I was reading up on it and i had ordered Le Bistro automatic pet feeder cause i needed to give him portion control and i placed a glass bowl upside down in his dog dish and now he has to work to get to his food which makes him eat a lot slower. The Vet also recommended that i give him Pepcid AC 1x a day. So far it has been 9 days and he has not got sick once!!!


MIKO answered on 4/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer