my dog stepped on a rusty nail. he is up to date on his shots but his paw seems to be bothering him. should i be worried

Asked by Member 781666 on Dec 20th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Check his paw out and see if there's a puncture wound. If there is, take him to the vet. If there isn't a puncture but there is a cut, treat it yourself. If it continues to bother him for long, a vet check is in order.

Wolfgang's Memorial

I would be concerned........have you washed is paw well with soap and water? You may treat it with peroxide and antibiotic cream, but running him into the vet is a good idea, as depending on his breed, he may have hair obscuring an injury and shaving it would be of great value!

Wolfgang's Memorial answered on 12/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I would be worried about infection. Your dog's paw is exposed to all sorts of nasty germs just waiting to get into a open wound. Taking him to the vet for a quick check and getting an antibiotic to ward off any possible infection, would be your best option.
Hope your fur pal feels better soon.