My dog Sneakers has a rash that is very itchy so I got some cortisone cream, Will it hurt him if he licks it?

Asked by Member 790489 on Jan 11th 2009 Tagged allergiesandmedications in Allergies

Answers

Tiberius

It shouldn't but don't use too much. If he is very itchy you could give him a benedryl tablet to stop the itching. Do you know what kind of rash it is? If you don't - you may want to take him to the vet he may need antibiotics.. I know alot of people who have given their dog benedryl for allergies and have no issue. But one dog I know had an allergic reaction and was drooling excessively until their owner took to vet. So I'm just saying before you try anything you at least may want to ask you vet who may be aware of what kind of rash your dog has before you give him meds.

Tiberius answered on 1/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If he get just a small amount on his tongue or muzzle...well, it's not great, but it won't hurt him too much.

On the other hand, if he gets a chance to lick it all off, that's not good.

I'd suggest putting it on when you can supervise him, if at all possible. In other words, don't put a bunch on his rash, then leave him alone to lick it all up. :-)

Ideally, he won't get too much in his mouth. If you feel he's ingested some, though, or if he has any symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting or any kind of lethary or tiredness, those would be signs of poisoning. I would tend to think that he'd have these if he ingested a large amount, like if he were to get into the tube itself, but it's always good to be extra, extra careful since you never know how a small amount might affect a dog.

Good luck, hope Sneakers is all healed soon!

hercules

hello, my dog hercules has an ongoing allergy problem that requires daily treatment, he takes benadryl tablets, fish oil capsules and brewers yeast tablets for healthy skin and coat, when he is really red and itchy we use cornstarch baby powder, it works wonders and it is safe. i would recommend that , you will be surprised at the effectivness, also when he is really bad, instead of cortizone, we use balmex diaper rash cream, it also works quick and soothes the skin. good luck and i hope one or alll of these help you.

hercules answered on 1/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What does the rash look like.?
It could be food allergies, environmental allergies, or the terrible mange.
Mange will make hair loss, and look crusty.
I would take dog to vet instead of self medicating him/her.
A dog has to have a certain skin cream with the right level of medicine. Maybe he needs oral meds from vet.