My dog smells HORRIBLE. No matter what I do. I know he's not supposed to have frequent baths so we only bath him like on

Asked by Member 869316 on Aug 20th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Fritz

If your dog smells horrible and he isn’t skunked or rolling in a dead animal, there is a good chance that he has a problem. A bad tooth, impacted anal glands or something. Give him a bath, if he smells after the bath or within a week or two get to the vet and find out what’s wrong with him.

PS some people Bathe dogs weekly others monthly.

Fritz answered on 8/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Check his ears. In addition to that already mentioned, ears are a frequent problem.

We feed a decent chow and as little else as possible, seldom if ever bathe the dog, and brush it daily with a soft bristled brush. We never have complaints about our puppies although we take them in public places and they are checked monthly by somebody responsible to make sure we are giving them good care.

I have a big terrier, he stinks! it's his 'sensitive' skin :-) After many trips to the vet and much meds, I find that weekly or bi-weekly baths with a tea tree dog shampoo help a lot with smell. If skin gets dry due to hot weather, oatmeal dog shampoo & conditioner. Never people shampoo, can make things worse! Adding olive oil or flax seed oil (best, if he'll eat it) to his food can help too. I place a beach towel over his bed so I can wash it weekly. Hope this helps.

K-10 Von Canein

I can't give a full answer with a partial question. So I will give you a partial answer. Some breeds (in my opinion only) like chesapeke bay's stink, due to the oils in their hair. Some dogs get ear infections, causing them to stink. If it is an ear infection, going to the wrong vet won't help. If they give you medication for an ear infection, you probably have the wrong vet. Ear infections (which stink) are normally caused by corn and carcinogens in your dogs food. Normally on a partial question such as this I would not push a raw diet. This time, I will. Switch to this diet for 10 days and your dog will probably not stink, or shed as much. Goat ingredients can be replaced with cow dairy ingredients found in all stores.
Please watch this video and learn how to make good food.
www.youtube.com

Ear infections and allergies are the primary cause for dog odor, as well as excessive shedding. A sudden change as this may cause diarrhea for up to 2 days.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 8/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

If he has a constant smell then maybe there is a medical problem at bay.
So I would first take him to the vet and explain what is going on then can look him over and find a solution

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 8/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jesse

How would you describe the smell? If it smells like something rotten, and he is clean, then it is likely he has an infection somewhere. Jesse smelt like rotting flesh, so we whipped her off to the vet. Turned out to have a staph infection in her neck. Nasty stuff! I'd take him to the vet for a thorough check over

Jesse answered on 8/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer