Pebbles

My dog seems to be very reliable on treats. How can I break that habit? (Please read description)

I have been training my dog for a couple of months and I can see that she will only obey me, only when I have treats. (No treats? No obeying!)
Well, I know I should reward her(which I do) but you can't have treats on you all the time! And I use positive behaviour in training.
Now, my question is...could you tell me other methods of motivating my dog to listen and obey appart from treats? (By the way, she is 2 years old and a maletese and poodle mix)
I want to break her treat mania. Help anyone?
Please answer cause I like training my dog.

Asked by Pebbles on Oct 11th 2010 in Methods of Training

Answers

Saydi Sue.

For Saydi I used to put the treats in a fist. Then after when she wasn't looking I would put my hand in a fist with out the treat. Get her to obey me, put my fist to her nose and pet her. It may take a bit, but it'll work. Paw-Mail with questions if you'd like.

Saydi Sue. answered on 10/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have had an occasional dog that I couldn't completely wean off.
But, if you want to start you can just keep making the food smaller and smaller.
Then, in time you can start making the food every other command and substitute a word.
If you have a dog that values food the most of anything in the world, the food will be your most reliable source.
Just as a dog that loves a toy or tug, that is his reward in life, he values that object like gold.
For us, we have to semi wean at times, because in our dog competitions there is no food or reward on the day of competition. You have to use smiles or some sort of praise in the rule book after certain completed exercises.
If you aren't going to be on a field competing, there is nothing wrong with treats. They have to get paid. It's like us working, if we don't get paid we get a little mad.

Begin rewarding with treats only sometimes, but always have a treat present with you. Gradually begin rewarding with treats less and less, but be sure to give some other reward, such as scratching in a special spot or playtime.
Eventually, you shouldn't have to have treats with you at all. Be sure to use them sometimes, though.

Add clicker training to your list!

Using a clicker to 'mark' the good behavior eventually serves as an IOU for a treat later. Sort of a deferment program! LOL!

Link to teaching clicker training!
www.clickersolutions.com