My dog runs away to a friend of mine as often as he can. What can I do to keep him home?

He seems to tell me that he does not want to live with me. How can I change his mind? My friend cannot keep him.

Asked by Member 871456 on Jul 3rd 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Jet

Do you spank/yell at your dog a lot? Yes? Then don't!

Give your dog a lot of praise, and try taking him to new, fun places like dog parks, parks, beaches that allow dogs, and on walks on trails!

Good luck, and if you need anything else, just let me know!

Lots of Licks,

Jet

Jet answered on 7/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You need to spend more time with your dog. Exercise is key..a tired dog is a well behaved dog. Physical exercise..walks, fetch, swimming..tire out his body. Training..both obedience & tricks will tire out his mind. It will also strengthen the bond between you & your dog.
How is he allowed to run away so often? Do not leave him alone unsupervised in the yard. Teach him to sit & wait at the door...not just bolt out.

Honey

Try a fence or an electric fence to keep him on your property. Or instead of letting him outside to roam at all, take him for walks on a leash so he's always within your reach, and site.

Honey answered on 7/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you have a fence to keep him in? If he's getting out from under the fence, place chicken wire all across the fence and under the gaps. Dogs do NOT like the way chicken wire feels on their paws and they will not get near it. Many, many dog owners use chicken wire to keep their dogs in from getting out.

If he's climbing over the fence, you can also place chicken wire on top of the fence and have it hanging over so that he can't get out. You can also use the Coyote Roller which keeps dogs in -

www.coyoteroller.com

If you don't have a fence, I recommend getting one. You can also build a fence of your own if you prefer to do so.

Does you friend seem to play with him a lot? Play with your dog, exercise him everyday. Take him on 1-2 walks a day, play with him outside and inside, take him to the park/dog park, etc. You can even get him into a dog sport like agility, flyball, etc. You can even take him to training classes.

Perhaps your dog wants to be courted?
First off, secure any fencing, so he cannot get away.
Several short walks, even just a minute or two, can help create a bond. Hand feeding is good for bonding. Invite your dog into the bathroom to wait for you while you shower. Take him for as many rides as possible. If he doesn't greet you when you come home, greet him. Eventually the hope would be he would end his affair with your friend, and realize that life at home is better.

Einstein

I suspect that your dog must have found "the grass is greener" at your friend's place. That means your dog is smart he knows what he needs. If you meet his needs he will not run away. Heck, I would run off with a neighbor too if my needs weren't met. As other posters have suggested you need to share many bonding activities such as walks, plays and exercises. Of course, love and attention. Good luck!

Einstein answered on 7/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer