My dog runs around then starts breathing hard and it sounds like he is coughing or clearing his throat

Asked by Member 1157750 on Mar 3rd 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I'd take him to the vet. Coughing is a sign of all sorts of things, the scarier things being heartworm and congestive heart failure.

Beau

One thing it could be is a "backwards sneeze". It's very common in small dogs, or snub-nosed dogs (pugs, bulldogs, boxers, etc.). It almost sounds like they're trying to cough a loogie. If you rub along the bridge of their nose, or help massage the throat, it'll often pass.

I can't recall what causes it, but it's generally nothing to worry about. My first dog did it all the time. :-)

Beau answered on 3/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

fi fi

My chihuahua does this as in the previous answer its called reverse sneezing and caused by the soft pallet at the back of the dogs throat I tip fi fis head back and lightly pinch her nose which makes her breathbthrogh her mouth which causes the pallet to open again if it persists and goes on for long periods do check with your vet as there could be a problem with your dogs soft pallet but dont dispare its very common hope this helps xxx

fi fi answered on 3/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer