Balthazar

My dog refuses to poo outside. Any advice?

I have a 2-ish rescue dog in an apartment setting. He's around 35 lb. We go outside for potties and walks, and he's happy to pee outside (lots), but he refuses to poo outside, no matter how long we're outside. We had a successful period this winter, when there was snow on the ground, but as soon as it got too deep, he stopped pooing outside.

I've tried leaving his poo in the spot where I want him to poo, but we got in trouble with the apartment management company about it.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did give up for a while and just covered the whole area he thinks of as his poo area with wee wee pads and let him do his business there. Unfortunately, that's a very fast way to go broke, and he doesn't always hit the pads.

Even when I see him sniffing and circling and take him outside and stand in the same spot for 20 minutes or so, he'll wait until we get inside and do his business there.

I'd really prefer not to get evicted over my dog and the pee smells and carpet stains!

Asked by Balthazar on Jun 11th 2013 Tagged poop, potty, housesoiling in House Soiling

Answers

eww. Get some enzymatic cleaner like nature's miracle and a black light. Give it all a thorough cleaning. You need to start from the beginning of potty training. NO POTTY PADS! You can use the kennel or tether the dog to you and watch him like a hawk, every 2 or 3 hrs (since he is older) take him outside and praise him for going potty outside and give him a treat. DO NOT go back inside immediately. Instead go for a nice walk to get things going. (bring a bag) If he poos he gets an extra special treat and LOTS of praise. Keep going (don't go immediately home). When you cannot watch him put him in his kennel. He should not have any opportunity to poop inside because you will be watching him!

Mika

I agree with Obi.
And lose the puppy pads for sure, to me it's just more confusing to let them go indoors and then try to teach outdoors.
Start again as if he were a puppy, like Obi said, and take care to clean the area's properly so his scent is not in the house anywhere!
When I was house training mine, my pup would refuse to go poop outside, but I found that while she was outside i would start a game with her to make her run around a whole bunch and it always worked, every time it worked it out of her

Mika answered on 6/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think your dog had a bad experience eliminating outside. Perhaps he was bitten outside by an insect in the past and he is scared that might happen again. Try using an indoor litter box. That is easier to clean.