My dog refuses to go on walks, to the point we have to carry her. Help!

We got her from family friends who have taken care of a lot of dogs/puppies. When we got her they said she knew simple commands, and leash walked very well. She is a six month old English Mastiff now, and if you know the breed, you know she's a large dog. We take her on the same walk everyday, and right around the moment the house is out of eye sight, she stops, and sits. If we pull her, she leaps up in the air, and tries to knock you down. If you still try to pull her, she then dramatically falls to the ground, and lays in the street. My 54 year old mother has to pick her up, in a bear hug, and walk her on her two hind legs to get her home. We've tried a normal collar, a head harness, a muzzle lead, and now a harness. All these things are nothing to her, please, does anyone know how I can walk her?

Asked by Member 1135986 on Oct 15th 2012 Tagged englishmastiff, leashwalking, refuses, to, walk in Leash Walking

Answers

Have you thought about taking her to the vet? Maybe there's a musculoskeletal problem that makes it painful for her to walk very far. Or maybe she's being a big pain. If she's treat-motivated, you might try bribing her to walk. If that doesn't work, I'd try a puppy class. Or a car ride to the dog park. You can't just carry that big ole dog around without injury.

Siu Pao

Six months old puppy is very young. They tend to be more timid when they are young. When you attend positive based training, they tell you to only walk puppy on your driveway for 5 mins each time then gradually venture further when they are more confident. Also, try not to force her because a Mastiff will always be stronger than you are when they grow up.

Siu Pao answered on 10/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jane

My suggestion is to try to make getting on the leash and going for a walk a positive, fun, and rewarding experience so that her excitement trumps her anxiety. Give her a treat, talk sweetly and excited to her, pet her, let her explore where she wants to, etc. She may only want to go a few feet out from the house so instead of forcing her to go further, be okay with that and just hang out with her until maybe she feels comfortable going a few more feet. Be understanding not critical. Give her a treat right when you get outside and for every say, five feet she goes. Walk five feet away and say, "treat!" or whatever you usually say to let her know... hey, if you want a treat you can have it if you just go a little further. She's still super young, take it one step at a time instead of expecting her to just go for it and she will sense that you are comfortable going a little further so maybe she wants to come along.

Jane answered on 10/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boo Radley

My dog was afraid to go on walks for a long time. If we stopped moving for a second, she would sit and refuse to move out of pure anxiety. I was told by a trainer to squat in front of her (the direction you want them to go), and put pressure on the leash at a straight angle. In other words, the line of the leash was parallel to the ground from her collar to my hand. You only put pressure on the leash to the point where, if they walk toward you, the leash goes slack. Keep this up until they reach you, where you can then give them a treat and praise them. If they keep doing it, try the above mentioned technique, but instead of praising at the end, just get up and start walking with a slack leash. Hopefully this works!

Boo Radley answered on 6/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer