My dog pushes her food out of her bowl, How can I stop this behavior?

Whenever I feed my dog she pushes the food out of her bowl with her nose. I don't want to tell her no, because I don't want her to think that eating is bad. But it makes a mess and get annoying cleaning up all the time! Please Help! How can I stop this behavior?

Asked by Member 986627 on May 11th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Lautaro Toqui Bora Nabamba (Pi

My 4 old basenji had the same behavior and this is what I did to stop him from doing that: Whenever he pushed his food out of his bowl, I would push him away from the food and patiently pick up the pieces from the floor and back to the bowl. I would allow him to eat just after I putted back all the food pieces of food into the bowl.

It's important not to yell or say anything to the dog, just prevent him from eating while there's food on the floor.

It took me around 2 weeks for him to understand that he wasn't supposed to eat from the floor or push his food out from the plate.

Lautaro Toqui Bora Nabamba (Pi answered on 5/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You can buy one of those kiddie placemats. Usually they have a sesame street character or what not on them.You could place the food on the mat or you can put the mat under the bowl to catch the food. I guess your dog is either having a hard time eating in the type of bowl you have or she is scared of the bowl.
You can also try a deeper bowl rather then a shallow sided bowl, not sure?

If it seems to be an accidental thing, a larger bowel might help. Otherwise the not letting it eat except food in the bowel might work.

Daisy

I was told when my daisy did that it was because some dogs cant stand for their wiskers to tip the bowel when thay are eating so thay take the food out then eat maybe try to put the food in a plate and see what happends it worked for me

Daisy answered on 5/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer