My dog only eats boiled chicken and potato and peas, is that okay? Otherwise, she won't eat at all.

My almost 12 year old Japanese Chin stopped eating dry food after 11 years. I went to canned dog food and she ate that for awhile, then stopped. I added peas to it and she ate it for awhile. I am at the point now where the only thing she eats is boiled chicken breast, cooked white potato (the inside only) and peas. What can I give her to get the nutrients needed? I have tried carrots, rice, etc., etc.
Also, is the potatoe okay for her to eat?

Asked by Member 1031133 on Apr 19th 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Jazzy

potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates. Sweet potatoes are also another source of carbohydrates. There's a lot of ppl who serve their dogs home made diets. Your Japanese chin is getting up there in age. And sometimes older dogs just get finicky about what they're eating. Try creating an account on here (its free) and check out the home made diet forums. They're very helpful.

Jazzy answered on 4/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Baxter

as long as the bones are not included. cooked bones are sharp and brittle.
Mostly it is a tooth problem. Have a dental exam. I had to have a molar pulled on my bulldog.
Then he could chew again

Baxter answered on 4/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ty

I give boiled chicken to my 16 year old. So what you are feeding is fine. Sometimes you have to go with what they will eat. But a vet check that has been mentioned would be a good idea.

Ty answered on 4/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

J. J.

Homemade foods are great for some pets, but speak to your veterinarian to make sure that your recipe contains enough vitamins and minerals to keep your little girl healthy.

J. J. answered on 4/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sure, homemade diets are awesome as long as you know what you're doing. (Vets are typically brainwashed by the pet food companies to be against them, though. That said, there ARE vets that are tolerant to them, and even some that *recommend* them. But personally I would not go to a general practitioner vet for nutritional advise.)
I don't know anything about a cooked homemade diet, but I feed my dog a prey model raw diet and am quite satisfied with the results. You can read about this diet here: www.dogster.com