my dog of 9 who is non agressive has started to bark at one person in a most agressive way,

he sees the man and stops then starts to bark
i have no idea what to do ,it seems as if the persons causes sum sort of anixaty, help

Asked by Member 972592 on Mar 10th 2010 in Books & Entertainment

Answers

Hector

I don't know the background of how or if you know this person, but your dog could be trying to tell you something.

Dogs are very keen to danger. Don't ignore this. It may be nothing to worry about, but check it out anyway.

Do you know this person really well? Is it just an aquaintance? Has this person been alone with your dog at anytime? Is he a complete stranger that walks by regularly? Lots of questions here, but you need to find the source.

If he is a stranger that is just walking by, perhaps he has lingered near your house/yard while you were gone. If he is an aquaintance, perhaps he has spooked or mistreated your dog while you weren't near. If he is well known and your dog just started the behavior then that would be another matter.

If you dog has never done this and is 9 years old, I would consider ALL possibilities. Again, don't ignore it. It just may be he doesn't like the looks of this person, but again, your dog could be trying to warn you.

Hector answered on 3/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kayak

Hector has a great answer. My sentiments exactly. Good Luck.

Kayak answered on 3/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Hector, to a certain point.

I think that dogs really do pick up on danger and subtle cues that the person might not even realize they are giving off.

My husband, who is the kindest, gentlest and most mellow person I have ever met had a dog who absolutely went bonkers when he was around. BONKERS. And that dog never did that to anyone else.

So, I mean, could your dog be suspicious of this person because there's some inherent danger he's sensing from this man? Yeah, that's totally possible. But also, sometimes no matter how kind a person is, there's just something about the way they smell or appear or even hold themselves that can set a dog off and there's no logical reason for it.

I'd say be careful for sure, but mostly be careful not to let your dog close enough to this person that he could potentially bite or attack. You may never know what the dog is thinking.

If this is someone you have to be around, consult a behaviorist to help you out.

maybe a hat or the guy has whiskers?
or the guy wears glasses?
or the guy smells like his own dog?
or maybe the guy smokes cigerettes or what not hard to say he just might not like him for one reasons above or some other reasons. Some dogs are sensitive to alcohol and drugs that people use also.
I would just make sure the dog gets to have some distances from the guy when he visits.
The dog is definately trying to tell you something is off.
good luck and stay safe.

When I was in college there was a man in our town that ALL dogs absolutely hated. He was a nice man, he loved dogs but they all immediately tried to bite him. Poor man, his first job was an oil delivery person... this problem was so bad he actually had to find a different job.
Who knows what makes dogs react this way to some people??? In this case I knew the man well... he was a kind man, and he wasn't afraid of dogs at all (Although, I must say, I would certainly have been if they all tried to bite me!!!)