my dog needs constant attention

I play walk and pet my cocker spaniel constantly, but it is never enough. He is always laying on my feet or pushing my hand to pet him. when i try to push him away he just keeps falling back towards me. he won't leave me alone for even five minutes and i have to put him out side just to get him off of me. Though i love my dog and love giving him love some times it is to smothering. what should I do? and how can i train him to stop this behavior.

Asked by Member 785126 on Dec 30th 2008 in Methods of Training

Answers

By pushing him back you are giving him exactly what he wants-attention. Ignore him completely and he will get the message sooner or later. Learn that nagging you gets him nowhere will stop him from bugging you.
YOU choose when he gets attention. He doesn't.

As long as you walk, pet & give him attention constantly it will never be enough...Only you can stop this & break him of it.

Katie

Hi! I am a rescued German Shepherd and I love my family so much, especially my mom, that I am constantly looking for her attention. When she needs to use the computer or read a book, she just gives me one pat, then stops. Even if I push my nose in her lap or do a play bow right in front of her, she just ignores me. Then I find a toy to chew on, or I go take a nap in my bed. Soon enough, she's ready to take me to the park or on a nice walk! My mom says:
If your dog doesn't have any special toys, a rawhide bone is another distraction to keep him busy for a while. It might be hard to ignore him, but once he's busy and you've had a few minutes to yourself, you could call him over for some attention. This way, you are choosing the circumstances for attention and affection, not him! As his leader, you can set boundaries and consistently keep them. Katie knows that when I'm sitting at the computer (like, right now), she will not get any attention from me, so she curls up for a nap.

Katie answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer