Daisy Mae

Why does my dog like to lick the couch?

My 1-year-old pug licks the couch or carpet after eating and drinking. She also likes to lick my bare legs or arms after getting a drink of water. It is like she is trying to dry or clean her tongue.

Is this a common quirk among Dogster pups?

Asked by Daisy Mae on Sep 7th 2011 Tagged licking, eating, food, drinking, silly, weird, pug in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Does she eat really fast?? Is she apt to be gassy? Many times when dogs lick things such as carpet or fabric they are feeling an upset stomach and the licking is an attempt to help resolve that, just like some humans find repeated swallowing helps when they feel nauseated.
I would probably re-evaluate her diet and make sure she is getting a high quality food that meets her dietary requirements.

Yogi

I also like to lick the couch. Mom thinks I like the feel of the fabric on my tongue. I seem to do it when I feel very relaxed. When my sis Cookie was still alive she enjoyed it too. By the way we have microfiber furniture. Mom thinks I defenitly would lick her jeans to clean my tongue after she would give me a little bite of peanut butter toast. LOL

Yogi answered on 9/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

cleopatra11

Daisy Mae! my dog licks one her favorite stuffed toy , the furnature and everyone's bare legs! i think it might be a form of good feeling & someone told me that if they lick you or an object, they own it! i will ask my vet too! you are not alone and many dogs do this!

cleopatra11 answered on 9/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Caleigh Anne

That's ok, my dog Caleigh licks windows lol it's funny

Caleigh Anne answered on 9/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer