Choo Choo

My dog keeps shaking and I was wondering is that normal?

I just got him back from the vet where he broke his leg. Now he just keeps shaking and its freaking me out. What do I do?

Asked by Choo Choo on Nov 11th 2008 Tagged broke, leg, puppy, chihuahua in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Sadie

I think you need to call your Vet back. It could be a number of things such as, pain, fear, shock, etc. I would call the Vet as soon as you can and let him or her know what is going on. Until then I think you should make sure he is warm and comfortable and you can give him baby aspirin, but not tylenol, that is deadly. Keep an eye on him and if he isn't improving maybe even consider taking him to an Emergency Vet. He may just be in a lot of pain and scared but you never know. I hope he gets better and if he is small and you decide to give him baby aspirin. I would only give him a 1/4 of a chewable one until you can see or talk to a Vet. Good luck and please let me know. Everytime there is a question like this I never hear back and I really do worry and am very concerned so please let me know. Thank you and good luck!!!

Sadie answered on 11/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

What kind of shaking is he doing? Does it look like he is shivering? That is fairly common in smaller dogs, especially the Chihuahuas because they don't have a lot of body fat or fur. They can also shiver when they are nervous, anxious, afraid, etc. They really are a very sensitive breed. If this is something that just happened after the vet visit, I would take him back in. Did your dog break his leg AT your vet's office? If so, it's very possible that he is just afraid and traumatized. Discuss with your vet over the phone before you bring him in, especially if he did break his leg there. Do you know how the break happened? I do not want to sound harsh here, but if your dog DID indeed break his leg AT your vet's office, I would consider taking him somewhere else. Vet's are supposed to be the most cautious and careful with your dog, and toy breeds especially need extra care. Please message me if you have more questions. Best of luck.