my dog keeps shaking

He really tenses his muscles up, he wont eat, wont want a cuddle, he will hardly move, but as soon as you mention WALKIES! he is right as rain, and after walkies, its like nothing has happened,

Im wondering if it is for attention. I have tried ignoring it and wont feed him or take him out until he stops. but hes doesnt! He literally does it for hours, so i take him out in the end so he stops.

There is nothing medically wrong with him and fit an healthy. I just dont know why he has suddenly started shaking like this. He is 5 and lovely crossbreed. Has he done something bad I dont know about? Help!

Asked by Member 844420 on Jun 9th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Why don't you take him to the vet just to be sure nothing truly is wrong with him. He's tensing his muscles for some reason and it has you worried.

If this were my dog, I'd take him to the vet just to be on the safe side.

It's pretty unusual for a dog who has never had this sort of shaking symptom before to suddenly develop it ouf the blue.

I'm not saying he's got something physical wrong with him, but I'd rule that out first before assuming it's behavioral.

After he gets an all clear based on his symptom from the vet, you can start to work on the emotional cause of this problem. It could be stress or anxiety, but we humans often mistakenly believe that shaking means attention seeking.

Good luck with him.

I have a dog that is a shaker when he is scared , nervous, or a storm.
But, he is a boston and they tend to do that normally.
So, you say he is not eating and won't be petted. Then I say that he may be sick.
To be safe have your vet look him over and talk to him about his behavior at home.
If he is short haired and cold get him a nice sweater to wear and see if the shaking stops. They also sell booties if his paws are cold as well. But, I say the vet first:)