My dog keeps rubbing his eyes. What can I do?

Asked by Member 984228 on Apr 29th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Take him to your vet to find out what is wrong with him, then follow thru with the treatment they prescribe.

Hector

If you suspect it is allergy related, since he rubs both eyes, you can get a prescription from the vet if it is insufferable for him.

If you think it is due to wind blowing dust/sand around, this is what I do, and it works everytime.

We live in OK, and wind blows alot here. There is alot of dust/sand and my oldest dog Hector gets eye irriations from it.

He loves for me to put a couple fo drops of water, using a sterile dropper, then a cool rag to gently rub the outside for him.

He will bare his weight into my hand when I have it placed on is eyes. He simply LOVES the cool rag, and he tolorates the drops of water. The water flushes out any sand and dust, the cool rag, just feels good to him. He is fine until the next windy day.

I ask my vet about any home treatements I do to any of my dogs, and this one gets his approval.

Of course if you try this method, be super gentle, don't want to scratch doggies eyes, or do any damage. :o(

Good luck!!

Hector answered on 4/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If his eyes are red, have a lot of eye goop or geenish discharge, it's an infection and needs drops from the Vet

Petri

If his eyes are not irritated or oozing goo, just keep them wiped out daily with a wet washcloth. He may be getting pollen or dander in his face causing them to itch. It will also help to keep him brushed and make sure his legs/paws are clean so he doesn't rub dirt into them :)

Petri answered on 4/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer