My dog keeps licking his paws, a couple of them are really red by now and it appears he's licked parts raw...What can I

Asked by Member 427683 on Oct 1st 2007 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

This is most definitely a very common sign of allergic reaction, either from a contact allergy, like pollen, grass or a chemical or a food allergy.

Sometimes, this is not a sign of allergy, but rather a symptom of a foreign object (like a foxtail) or injury. But, since you mention a couple of paws being involved, that is less likely.

Some dogs also chew their pads out of emotional distress or anxiety.

Your dog's paws andanal region are areas that become inflamed and irritated when allergies flare up.

You should definitely take your dog to the vet as soon as you can.

Some dogs have been known to literally tear off chunks of flesh over just several hours, so it is important to get him treated.

Jack answered on Oct 1st.

Answers

Bleu

I am no expert but I have plenty of dog experience. We had to get a hydrocortisone RX(Topical Anitpurtic formulation) from our Vet. It took care of the symptome but I had to dig deeper for the cause. Once I completely change my dogs diet, it all disappeared. I believe they were allergic to the grains that dog food companies put in their food.

Bleu answered on 10/1/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I recently just went through a similar situation. my dogs sat in something, and one of them ended up scratching his face raw. We took them to the vet and it was diagnosed as contact dermatitis. They had to get a shot, and we were given a steroid creme. We we also using anti-itch wipes on them because one of them doesn't like water

Daisybell

Maybe u should take your dog to the vet so they can give u something to put on his paws!!

Daisybell answered on 10/1/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007*

Sharna did the exact same thing and we had to bandage her paws, give her pills and put cream on her paws. I suggest that you take your dog to the vet. Sharna has imflamed paws but your dog may have something different.

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007* answered on 10/1/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buddy Boy

It could be a few different things. But a vet visit is in order.
Some dogs have allergies to certain types of grass. It could be the grass in your back yard. I hear that its usually Bermuda grass.
Some dogs are allergic to beef and chicken. Try a lamb and rice formula. Also there was another pup that already said it could be grain. Also, corn is hard to digest for dogs, thats why you want a rice, not a corn.
It could also be boredom. It sounds more like allergies, but some dogs do chew their feet out of boredom. Make sure he is getting plenty of walks and other exercise.

Buddy Boy answered on 10/1/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Akela

allergies!!!!

Akela answered on 10/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jessie

Most dogs lick their paws to clean themselves but some dogs go through excessive licking when they are bored or have nothing to do. If you suspect they are bored, try playing with the dog more often. Also, if it continues, try going to your vet to get some proper treatment. Good luck!

Jessie answered on 10/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer