My dog keeps climbing over the fence! What should I do?

Milo is a maltese silky cross male, who was recently desexed. However, he insists on climbing over the fence whenever he is unsupervised. He has gone missing before and now we have to keep him on a chain, apart from his morning and afternoon run. I hate putting him on a chain, but what else can I do? By the way, we also live in a rental, so we can't do anything drastic to fences or anything...

Asked by Member 503615 on Apr 22nd 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Layla

First, you probably shouldnt have him out there unsupervised if he's doing this. Second, buy some vision screen (the green stuff they use at ball parks) and put that on the inside of the fence. It'll keep him from gaining any footholds to use to climb over.

How long is he outside unsupervised? He's probably bored so he's wanting to check out what is going on elsewhere.

Layla answered on 4/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lily

unless he is a huge chewer, you can use a soft braided nylon tie out. That's all I ever use with any of my dogs, pups and grown. The dog sounds less like a creature rattling his chains that way. Until he matures enough so he will listen, that's about it. Make sure he can't reach the fence, so he doesn't hang himself.

Lily answered on 4/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Koby

"Chaining" isn't about the chain, it can be rope, whatever.

The problem is the principle of chaining...

To the OP, I don't recommend a dog be outside unsupervised anyway... but if he must, the suggestions above sound like they should work.

Koby answered on 4/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Simple: dogs do not belong outside unsupervised for any length of time, not even in a fenced back yard.

If you cannot supervise your dog outside, he should be inside where you can supervise him, or he should be inside crated.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you turn him out into the yard unsupervised? For going potty? If you establish a potty schedule, that should be an out and back in trip. For getting exercise? Dogs don't just run laps around the yard when left alone - they tend to get bored and find ways to amuse themselves. Like climbing the fence or digging holes. If Milo needs exercise, put him on a leash and walk. Or go out there and throw a ball.

Chaining is the completely wrong answer in your situation. It will not fix the behavior and will instead add other behavior issues, such as territorial aggression, frustration, and possibly neurotic behaviors such as chasing his tail or digging holes.